Saturday, June 18, 2011

Philosophy

I am stupid, as stupid as any person.

I have lately become really interested in learning about philosophy.  I still don't even know what philosophy means, but I think that it is the search for meanings as well as the examination of what we know and what we can know.  Language is the most dangerous thing to philosophy.  Language seems mostly to just get in the way.  Words and their meanings are in no way reality.  They are just man's imperfect attempt to describe reality.  My calling a cup a cup does not say whether or not the cup exists it only says that I have decided to call whatever I see of as being a cup, a cup, and that I have an unspoken agreement with most other people to do the same.  Is there any way of being sure of a cups existence based on my referring to it as a cup? no.  Do I even know that what I see of as being a cup is in any way similar to what another person sees?  No.  But in order to live life one must accept that they cannot know such things and that they must assume to know such things in order for the ease of communication and therefor the ease of existing.

Blah.

I just posit that philosophy and the world and the nature of existence must be looked at without letting language get in the way, which is impossible since we only can experience the world through our perception of its' created names.  So... my point is that I am too stupid to even examine the true nature of things.

Purpose: There is no greater purpose.  Our purpose, essentially, is to be living things, eating, sleeping, sexing, propagating our genes.  This purpose provides no happiness for one who chooses to examine their purpose.  It is not satisfying to the thoughtful person to realize that there is not purpose other than to live.  That is where society comes in.  Society provides a framework for humans to have the illusion of a purpose with which to make their purposelessness tolerable.  The way one goes about fitting into society distracts them from the uselessness of being.  Having nothing to do, boredom, is unhappy, so one must seek the above biological functions.  In the process of seeking these they are distracted from the utter purposelessness of their doing do.  This allows them to exist, propagating their genes, until they are no longer.  Whoooey!

If I didn't have the very human, very animal, very natural urge to go on living, I would, as surely as the sky is blue, end my life right here and right now in order to avoid the boredom and the pain and the futility.  But that doesn't mean that I am depressed! No! On the contrary, I take extreme pleasure in believing that I have a greater understanding of these "truths" than most other people.  I enjoy life!  When it is not boring or painful or nonsense anyways.  I love to eat!  I love to sex!  I love to read, to learn!

No, I am going to go on living and attempting to fit myself into the puzzle of society as best as I can.  I am not doing this because I believe it to be purposeful, I am doing it because I want to avoid pain, boredom and unhappiness through eating, sexing, learning, loving, doing, and etc. until the day comes when I know longer exist.

No comments:

Post a Comment