Saturday, April 2, 2011

Introductory Post

My name is Matthew Keating and I am currently learning to be a teacher at NIU.  I do not have a whole lot of self esteem and I definitely do not see myself succeeding.  Perhaps that will make this blog funnier or more entertaining, I do not know.

I was born on April 4, 1984 in Illinois.  Illinois, for the majority of you people that I hear about that can't find anywhere on any map, is in the middle of the country.  It is a boring state without mountains or oceans or anything that is interesting.  I am not interesting and therefore my choice of birth state is fitting.

I grew up fat and I am still slightly fat but not enough to feel too bad about myself.  I never tried anything or took any risks and was essentially a leaf, or a piece of garbage, floating in the wind.  Then I decided to make something of myself and become a teacher.  You may be asking yourself why I am wasting my time and money in that endeavor when I am clearly not qualified or skilled enough to teach anyone about anything, except maybe how to be a loser and suck at life.  I cannot answer that question for you.  I am just trying to not starve or be too miserable or experience too much pain or shame until I die and get to go back to being carbon and oxygen and hydrogen atom who are not aware of their existence.  

My motivation for starting this blog is that I want to have some place where I can write down my thoughts, reflections, feelings, and any other words that come to me.  If I have learned anything so far about the teaching profession, it is that self reflection seems pretty darn important.  I am lazy and not good at keeping a journal and I thought "why not try to motivate myself by having a blog".  I highly doubt it will work.  This may be my last post ever and I truly hope, for your sake (as I am assuming you have fallen in love with my writing) that that is not the case.

Is there anything else about me that I think you should know about?  Hmm.  I have recently become a bird-watcher.  I am in love with a girl named Robin.  The Beatles are the best band of all time.  I really truly do want to be the best biology teacher that I can be.  And I am really really scared that I just don't have what it takes.  My intention is to chronicle my trials and tribulations (whatever that cliche means!) and experiences within the virtual pages of this blog.  I hope my anxieties and fears don't infect you, loyal readers!

Happy Saturday, I hope you are all feeling well.

Love,

XOXO

Mr. Keating

No comments:

Post a Comment